Top 3 Frequently Asked Questions
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for sales referred to a merchant site like Fanatics through special tracking links.
How can I generate revenue?
As an affiliate you will have access to links and banners and other link creation tools that allow you to build links that you can place on your website, blog, social media posts or in emails. These links will take visitors to one of our merchant websites with a tracking cookie in place. This tracking cookie is a small piece of data that is stored by a web browser that lets us know which affiliate sent the visitor and when the clicked a tracking link. If a shopper makes a purchase on our site within the life of your tracking cookie (3-30 days depending on the type of affiliate you are) you will earn a commission on that sale. Commissions vary depending on how you drive your traffic but most affiliates earn 10% commissions. Some other types of affiliates like coupon or cashback affiliates might earn less.
How does the Fanatics Affiliate Program track the sales and the leads on the Web?
We use tracking cookies that are set by our affiliate network partner (ShareASale.) When a shopper clicks on an affiliate link on your site, they are quickly passed to our site after an instantaneous stop at ShareASale where a cookie is set on the shopper’s web browser than lets us know where the shopper came from and when they clicked. If they make a purchase while the cookie is still in place on their browser, the affiliate who sent the traffic earns the commission. In most cases, the most recent affiliate who touched a visitor earns the commission. In some cases, rules are set up that prevent some types of affiliates like coupon sites from overwriting sales from other affiliates or allows for a commission split.
More Frequently Asked Questions
How can I contact someone concerning the Fanatics Affiliate Program? We have dedicated support and you can always contact our Affiliate Team led by Wade Tonkin and Joe Sousa via a number of methods. You can reach us during business hours (8:30 – 5:30 Monday – Friday) at firstname.lastname@example.org . Some other ways to keep up to speed on what is happening in the Fanatics program including following us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/FanaticAffs or following our Facebook Page.
How do I see reports on my earnings?You can access your account by logging into www.shareasale.com at any time, 24 hours a day – 7 days a week, using the username and password for your account. The reporting is all real time and is available 24-7/365.
Does it cost to join the Fanatics Affiliate Program?
No, not at all. It’s free to join our program and if you do things right, we actually pay you money for working with us.
Why was I declined from the Fanatics Affiliate Program?
Please note, we manually review each affiliate application. As such, human error can happen. Please visit the following post where we list common reasons for a decline application as well as ways to appeal.
How much money can I make as a Fanatics affiliate?
That depends on how much effort you put into promoting our products as well as your audience reach. The sky is the limit but it does take time and effort. We have affiliates who earn a few bucks every month and we have affiliates who have earned over $50,000 in a single month. A lot depends on the size of your audience, the connection you have with them and if a team or geographical area you cover is tied in to a major event like a Super Bowl or World Series win.
How and when will I be paid for my generated sales? Our tracking and payment provider ShareASale handles payments for us. Once you have earned at least $50, they will either pay you by check or direct deposit to your bank (ACH.) Payments are issued on the 20th of the month for sales that came in the previous month. We have to allow time to review sales in the case of returns, invalid credit cards, etc.
What kinds of products can I promote on my website? You can choose whichever products you would like to feature on your site. We offer over 500,000 products for over 600 teams across multiple leagues including all of the major Professional sports leagues in the United States, College Sports and the top Club and National teams in Soccer and they are all available for you to promote. Simply join our program to get started. If you have any questions or issues, please contact us at email@example.com.
What types banners or advertisements are available? We’ve got over 2000 banner ads and over 1000 text links ready for you to use to promote your favorite team’s gear that are all ready to use at ShareASale.com. They make it quick and easy to pick up the tracking code you need to place on your site. We also offer a full product datafeed with over 500,000 products that you can promote and some awesome tools that allow you to display those products on your site including Make A Page, Product Showcase and the Product Discovery Bookmarklet that makes linking to single product pages a snap.
What is a data feed? A data feed is a text file containing a merchant’s products, URL’s, product image links, categories, prices and descriptions of the products that an affiliate downloads into a database. Content in a data feed may vary from merchant to merchant as some may supply more information than others. Using a data feed properly can help to ensure you will have updated products on your site. Data feeds can be presented in one of many formats depending on the merchant’s programmer. The most common formats are pipe delimited and tab delimited. You must have access and the ability to create databases on your server in order to use a data feed. The data feed will need to be uploaded to your server before you can utilize it and display the products on your site. Fanatics has a data feed with over 500,000 products for over 600 teams all available to you once you become an affiliate.
How can I generate revenue?As an affiliate you will have access to links and banners that you can place on your website, blog or in emails. These links will drive traffic to our website. We will then pay a 10% commission for each purchase you generate for us.
How can I increase revenue?
- Promote Special Events – Sports is an ever changing market and it is very important to stay on top of what leagues and items are hot. There are several events in sports that can boost sales dramatically such as drafts, playoffs and championships. Staying informed of when these events occur and promoting them quickly and properly can result in a dramatic increase in sales.
- Promote Relevant Products – Converting traffic into sales is the key to success in any affiliate program, therefore we recommend promoting products relevant to the content on your site. We have seen a lot of sites that are dedicated to a sport such as NASCAR trying to promote another type of sport such as the NFL and the conversion rate suffers. Make sure all of the links you promote on your site are relevant to its content. Once you send the traffic to us, we will handle promoting and selling other merchandise. After visitors have clicked your link and landed on our site, you will receive credit for any purchase they make regardless of league or sport.
- Utilize Our Data Feed – One of the best ways to appeal to a target audience is to utilize our data feed. A data feed gives you access to ALL of our products and allows you to pick and choose which products you want featured on your site. For example, if you had a site promoting basketball it would allow you to display any number of basketball items very easily. You can even choose to narrow it down to league or team. If you are not familiar with what a data feed is, please see “What is a data feed” above.
- Keeping Content Fresh – As mentioned before, sports is ever changing. A team’s roster or win record can look vastly different than the prior year and it is very important to inform your visitors. Stay on top of what is happening in your particular niche and place special emphasis on promoting new or special event items to maximize profitability.
- Be Different – Offer something on your site that to your knowledge no one else does or do it better by putting your own spin on it. Make your site the only source for that particular content. This creates incentive for your visitors to come back. For example, if you’re a blog offer your own unique views. If you’re a fan site, keep your content fresh and be the first to update visitors on your team to help maximize results.
Why haven’t I received my commission check? For tax purposes, all of our United States based affiliate to fill out and return the W-9 form hosted by our partner ShareASale. If this form hasn’t been completed, ShareASale will withhold payment until they have it on file.
If you have any questions about our affiliate programs, or a particular marketing strategy please feel free to give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org